Meet Ellie, surely the sweetest fox terrier in mackay!
The owners of this little girl phoned our after hours number one evening very concerned that Ellie was acting out of sorts.
While she had been perfectly fine just a few minutes earlier…, after letting her out into the yard she soon began vomiting & frothing at the mouth. Her owners initially believed that Ellie had been licking a toad and brought her in for examination.
When Ellie arrived at the clinic she was observed to be in severe cardiovascular shock, and the vet became suspicious of a snake envemonation even though the owners have never seen a snake in their yard. A blood test showed that Ellie’s blood was unable to clot, confirming the diagnosis of a snake bite.
Snake bites are extremely dangerous and have the potential to be lethal in all animals, therefore Ellie’s prognosis was guarded. Ellie received intravenous snake antivenom and was hospitalised for several days.
During her time at Mackay Veterinary Hopsital, Ellie was the perfect patient and recovered in leaps & bounds!
After a few days she was able to go home to her family, and will hopefully leave snakes alone in the future. All the vets and nurses are so pleased Ellie is feeling better!
Ellie was very fortunate that her owners intervened soon after the onset of symptoms so medical treatment could be administered quickly.
Early intervention is crucial, and many animals are not so lucky. We are seeing more snake bites recently, so if your animal begins to show any signs of envemonation including sudden collapse, vomiting, frothing or Wobbliness, please contact the clinic immediately.